How to Implement Business Process Optimization
Optimizing business processes means improving efficiencies one workflow at a time. It’s an exercise SMBs should routinely undertake in all areas of their business to save time, eliminate redundancies and tune up any weaknesses.
When you’re ready to start implementing business process optimization (BPO), you may wonder where to start. Here are some key areas to focus as you seek to optimize your business.
BPO Implementation Steps
- Identify the problem – Before taking any action, you need to identify which areas of your business you’re going to optimize first. Dig into the data to see which processes will benefit most from improvement. The more specific you can be, the better. This goes for both naming the issue as well as setting goals for optimization.
- Document current processes – If your current workflow isn’t written down, do it now. Even though you’ll be making improvements, seeing the current process on paper will help you spot inefficiencies and redundancies.
- Prioritize improvements – Once you’ve identified areas that can be improved, assess their feasibility in relation to cost and impact. Prioritize the biggest-impact initiatives as you redesign your workflow.
- Implement process improvements – Next, put it in action. Test your redesigned process with a smaller group before rolling out a larger implementation program. Once any kinks are worked out, expand its implementation.
- Monitor progress – Review your goals and monitor your progress by quantifying your efforts. If certain tactics aren’t working, refine and try again. Optimization often takes several iterations. Don’t get discouraged if early attempts aren’t hitting the mark.
To learn more about business process optimization and see which areas in your SMB might gain the most in terms of improved efficiency, contact us at The OIS Group.